Monday, May 08, 2006

A NEW (MAPLE) LEAF


May 1st, is a holiday, Labour Day in the Philippines. While the government celebrated the country's workers and their contribution to the country's ailing economy, the workers, amid 37+ degrees of heat, marched in the streets carrying slogans depicting their disgust over this same government, shouting "Ibagsak ang Rehimeng Macapagal-Arroyo!". Actually, I just played this scenario in my mind. That was how it was then, I don't know how it was this year as I was busy contemplating on something else. That day, May 1, 2006, I turned a new leaf, pledged allegiance to Queen Elizabeth II, her heirs, and successors. In short, I took my Oath of Canadian citizenship on that day.

Isn't it sad that someone like me who graduated from the Philippines' premier university would pledge allegiance to a western nation? My friend and I kept talking about it, because she took the oath 3 months ahead of me and she cried. She kept telling me you will feel emotional and I am sure you will cry. Whenever I thought about it, tears welled up my eyes. As my friend and I agreed, if only life is not difficult back home.... While trying to memorize the lyrics and tune of O Canada! I felt dazed. I also realized that I still know Lupang Hinirang by heart, and cannot the whole Panatang Makabayan, which is bad. I blame it on my age, I am getting old :)

Well, I will have to sing a different national anthem and Pledge of Allegiance since that day on but Manila is still my home. That is where I was born and raised, where I spent my childhood, had my heart broken a couple of times, where my tried and trusted friends come from. My roots are still planted there. I wouldn't trade my comfortable life here, but I wouldn't trade the fact that I am a Filipino by blood either. I will try my best to recall the words to Panatang Makabayan which, as a child, I recited every day in school. I only have this desire to trade one thing though, I want a Canadian passport!!!!

As the judge said, not everyone gets this privilege, a chance of a lifetime. So I should be grateful, which I am. I am grateful for this opportunity, for this country, without which, I wouldn't have the comforts my birth country may not be able to provide for me, not in this lifetime. The funniest joke (actually, sentiment from a friend who is earning big bucks in Makati City) I have ever heard about this was "I feel like wanting to deny my Filipino citizenship as soon as I can!" To which I replied, "Hahaha!"


The Queen and I



Be the judge!


The Leaf